First up, we have the latest addition to ASUS’ TUF range of gaming laptops. Having enjoyed some success with the first range of TUF models, ASUS is hoping that the FA506 can cement its position as the top gaming device for anyone on a budget. The internal hardware receives a boost now utilising AMDs’s new Ryzen 7 4800H processors, 32GB RAM and Nvidia’s GeForce RTX 2060 graphics package. It also comes with a refreshed 15.6 IPS display, a boosted 90W battery and some remodelled aesthetics.
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7
Memory: 32GB of RAM
Storage: 1TB of SSD
- ASUS have jumpstarted the internal power and AMD’s new Ryzen 7 processors are a good alternative to anything not made by Intel. Paired with the inclusion of a 90Wh battery, it will allow for most games to run smoothly in comparison to other similarly priced models.
- The display has been upgraded with the FA506 given a IPS 144 Hz display giving crisper details than the previous 120Hz screens used in the original series of models.
- Listed at £1300, it is one of the cheaper gaming devices currently available and offers much more performance than rival models in the price range
- When running graphically demanding games or content, the machine tends to run exceptionally hot and the fan can be quite noisy.
- Still missing features found on more high-spec machines such as Thunderbolt 3 ports and biometric technology which may turn off some users
- Some aesthetic features such as the plastic body casing look and feel cheap in comparison to other models that have all metal bodies. Furthermore, some of the status lights such as the power button are exceptionally bright and may prove a distraction for users
Whilst ASUS are always seen as a budget brand, the TUF FA506 gives users a lot for what they are paying. If you can look past some of the plastic finishing and the noise factor, there is a lot to enjoy with an improved display and the adoption of AMD’s latest processing power.