The 2020 ROG Strix is largely a hardware update of the 2019 edition, with a few extra tweaks: a slightly cleaner interior and exterior design, as well as better control over the RGB components. In terms of performance, this remains a beast and one of the most powerful 15-inch notebooks out there, while still running hot and noisy on the Turbo model, particularly while sitting flat on the desk.
Screen: 15.6 inch
Processor: Core i9-10980HK,
Video: Intel UHD and Nvidia GeForce RTX
Memory: 32 GB
Storage: 2x 1 TB
Connectivity: Wi-Fi 6 (Intel AX201)
- Good construction efficiency, minor design changes, and better control over the RGB components.
- Fast and strong 300Hz IPS screen, not very bright
- Powerful hardware, excellent efficiency, and strong thermals once you’ve lifted this from the desk.
- Excellent external temperatures on all profiles (we could not properly test Silent on this sample)
- Right speakers for a computer laptop
- Competently priced 8Core i7 / RTX 2070 Super setup
- Chunkier than the other 15-inch notebooks in the class
- No card reader, Thunderbolt 3, camera, biometrics or GSync
- Reduced air intake with a laptop sitting on the desk, affecting temperatures and efficiency
- Runs hot (internal) and noisy with Turbo play.
- Ensure the panel bleeding and electronics noises are tested
The 2020 ROG Strix is largely a hardware upgrade of the 2019 edition. Around the same time, the laptop remains relatively small for the present age and lacks certain features available in other laptops, such as biometrics, other IO options, a webcam included, up-fire speakers, or a larger battery.