You’ve undoubtedly heard of Lenovo, and maybe you’ve seen any of the company’s laptops online – even in real life, maybe in a cafe somewhere – since this Chinese business is currently the world’s number one notebook manufacturer. Lenovo has a lot of hardware out there, and several famous brands, including IdeaPad, with the S145 being a budget model starting at a very low price point. It’s designed to be used lightly, such as checking emails, web surfing, and a document editing location.
CPU: Intel Celeron / Pentium / Core i3, i5, i7
Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics / Intel Iris plus Graphics
RAM: 4GB / 8GB
Screen: 15.6-inch 1,366 x 768-resolution TN anti-glare
Storage: 1TB HDD / 128GB / 256GB / 512GB SSD
OS: Windows 10
- The display is really a great one to have. It houses a large 15.6-inch display at this price point, for watching movies and enjoying sports gaming.
- Enjoy beefier CPUs with this Lenovo model, particularly, if you want something more powerful than the basic Celeron or Pentium chips. The IdeaPad S145 offers up to 10th-gen Intel Core i7 processors, giving you a much more grunt engine to maximize.
- Using the currently available models of this laptop as detailed by Lenovo, the top-of-the-range model running this CPU benefits from powerful built-in graphics (Intel Iris Plus Graphics), 8 GB of RAM, and a 512 GB PCIe SSD that delivers very neat storage.
- There are some quality problems with the frame, which is only 1,366 x 768-resolution, so not quite bright, and a little short-lived overall.
- Battery blues: there’s a fairly small power pack on this laptop, so don’t expect too much in terms of battery life – particularly if you’re purchasing one of the prime models fitted with more powerful hardware components (which means more of a toll on the battery).
The Lenovo IdeaPad S145 is a strong choice at the end of the budget market and, in the main, it cuts the right corners, retaining a respectable build quality for a cheap computer. However, the display isn’t the best, but compromises have to be made somewhere when making a really budget-friendly notebook.