Fujitsu’s latest LifeBook U938 is a 13-inch business notebook that weighs just 920 g (2.03 lbs), and has been optimized for mobility and security as much as humanly possible. It includes special features like the touch-free palm vein sensor for secure authentication, and sold for around $1,500 at the time of writing. The U938 is the successor to last year’s U937, which at around 30 g (1.06 oz) more, was already one of the most lightweight 13-inch notebooks available. Fujitsu is very clearly targeting business users with this particular notebook. In addition to the exclusive palm vein sensor the laptop also features a 4G/LTE modem with GPS, TPM 2.0, a smart card reader, and Windows 10 Pro with support for Bitlocker. Our test unit (U9380MP580DE) was equipped with Intel’s Core i5-8250U, 12 GB of RAM, a matte FHD IPS display, and a 256 GB large SSD. Those last items are flexible and the LTE modem is optional, otherwise all models are identical.
- Processor: Intel Core i5-8250U
- Graphics adapter: Intel UHD Graphics 620, Core: 300 – 1100 MHz, Dual-Channel, 184.108.40.20636
- Memory: 12288 MB, DDR4-2400, Dual-Channel, one slot (used), 4 GB soldered, max. 20 GB
- Display: 13.3 inch 16:9, 1920 x 1080 pixel 166 PPI, Sharp LQ133M1JW28, IPS, glossy: no
- Mainboard: Intel Kaby Lake-U iHDCP 2.2 Premium PCH
- An SD card reader’s performance depends mostly on the way it is connected, and fortunately none of the notebooks in our test group jangled our nerves with a slow USB 2.0 connection.
- The Wireless communication modules match Fujitsu’s claims of high mobility and portability.
- Security features include a smart card reader, a TPM 2.0 chip, and the Bitlocker hard disk encryption included in Windows 10 Pro.
- Despite its high price, the notebook lacks modern connectivity features such as Thunderbolt 3 or DisplayPort.
- The notebook lacks a dedicated maintenance flap, and accordingly the entire bottom shell has to be removed in order to access the internals.
The ultra-mobile Fujitsu Notebook LIFEBOOK U938 weighs only 920 g and stands out of the crowd. All-day battery runtime ensures all-day productivity, while security features such as the integrated palm vein sensor keep your business data protected. Powerful performance and the embedded 4G/LTE offer you best-in-class user experience.