This Acer Switch 5 is business-oriented, not so tuned to be outrightly flashy or over-the-top in design though not ugly or poorly crafted, it does however make up for its relative aesthetic deficiency with the kind of herculean performance and excitement business users cry out for.
Acer crafts us a model with standard processing power, a moderate memory and storage capacity and a 12-inch Quad HD IPS multi-touch display. At a minimum price of £825.94 and with strong competition from other laptops, does Acer offer just the right amount of value to stand out?
- Product Dimension (D×W×H): 20.18×29.29×0.96 cm
- Product Type: Hybrid PC
- Screen: 12 inches (30.5cm) LCD Touchscreen
- Display Resolution: 2160×1440
- Processor Model and cores: Intel Core i5-7200U (7th Generation)
- Processor Frequency: 2.50 GHz Dual-core
- Memory (RAM): 8GB LPDDR3
- Storage: 256GB SSD
- Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 620
- Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
- Battery Average Run Time: 10.5 Hours
- Physical flexibility. By pushing the screen against the auto-retracting kickstand, you can bend the laptop into the angle of your choice in way that keeps the positioning smooth and straightforward.
- Fine Keyboard and Trackpad. As with other laptops of same form, the Switch 5 comes with a keyboard folio that has a felt finishing that feels alright to the touch. The folio is made of plastic and with its slightly thin and lightweight body, it does offer a good typing experience. The keyboard also has backlight that turns on only when its keys are touched.
- Fanless and noiseless. The Switch 5 is able to deal with day to day activities effectively, but without the noise of a spinning fan. It employs the Acer’s patented LiquidLoop cooling system. Since it has no internal parts in motion (e.g. a hard disk), meaning that the noise level in the room is not by any means affected by the Switch 5’s operational status.
- Temperature increases with demanding loads. This is in great part due to its passive cooling system. Without a fan, the performance of Switch 5’s hardware cannot be maximized without overheating. While running applications and games with high demands, the Acer is forced to keep the temperature in check by forcing the CPU to clock down inorder to allow enough power for the GPU. Nonetheless, this PC gets very hot under much load.
- A comparatively low display. This Swift 5 display is not as bright, sharp or colour accurate as some of its rivals. To be fair however, on a closer look, one notices that the display is not as bad as some would have you believe. With a maximum screen resolution of 2160×1440 px on a 12 inch screen, it is sharp and clear enough for its screen size, and its relatively lower resolution harmonizes with its internal components and battery.
This nice looking 12-inch 1440p hybrid PC is able to execute everyday tasks with excellent performance; it comes with a keyboard folio and pen; is fanless and absolutely silent. So, if you’re in search of a tablet that can equal the performance and productivity of the thinnest, lightest and most silent notebooks, the Acer Switch 5 SW512-52 is probably the best value option in stock. Just be sure that you can make do with the heat it generates when more demanding loads are run, as well as because of its relatively below par screen quality.